If you’re single and over fifty, don’t worry. One thing that never changes with age is our desire to be loved. If you’re looking for love over fifty, chances are your new potential partner is too!
The fact is 45% of adults over 18 are single. Pretty stunning isn’t it? (2015 US Census)
No wonder there’s so many dating sites!
First Steps to Finding Love Over Fifty
- If you’re newly single, consider taking the time to get comfortable being alone. If being alone scares you, you’ll choose a partner for the wrong reasons. I know it’s tempting to run out and find someone to help you get over an unhappy breakup or death of a partner but the fire is always ready for the frying pan. Don’t jump too quickly!
- Learn to be comfortable doing things on your own and with friends. Really think about what the character and values of your “perfect partner” would look like. I compare it to going clothes shopping. Going shopping with a clear idea of what you’re looking for gets results, going shopping without purpose, gets you a big fat credit card bill doesn’t it?
- When you’re ready to get out there to meet someone new you’ll know it. As someone who has used dating sites in the past, I feel I’m well qualified to say they can work and give you lots of choices for potential partners, but you have to be willing to wade through all the options. Ultimately I met my beau through a friend and not a dating site. Sometimes a personal connection works for the best, but if you’re ready, don’t wait for that scenario to happen.
When You’re Ready for Love Over Fifty:
- If you don’t have friends with friends, try dating sites that are appropriate and safe for over fifty folks who are looking for love or companionship. In my opinion you can’t go wrong with Match.com. The largest, it also has the most engagement of any site I tried. When folks sign up with a credit card, they are more apt to be seriously looking, rather than casually dipping into the pool.
- If you have a wide circle of friends, be grateful. Finding love amongst old friends is less of a leap than meeting someone entirely new. Be open to sharing your thoughts and ideas, you never know. What you say may resonate and create a spark. I met my partner through my ex husband’s ex brother in law!
- MeetMindful is a new site with the goal of offering a more spiritual and mindful platform for you to meet someone with similar interests. Haven’t tried it, but would love to know if it works for you.
- If you’re not quite ready to dive into the dating deep end, I’d suggest Meetup.com. It’s easy to find a group to hang out with to share your interests with. Sports, hiking, dancing, technology or over 50s who want to mingle are just a few of your choices. Joining a group where you can choose how and when you want to participate is a great way to ease into hanging out with the opposite sex again. Much less pressure than a one on one date.
My advice is be careful and selective. You might easily meet someone who’s a good match, but you’ll need to be ruthless about screening the ones who aren’t. Use your good judgement and intuition. Your goal is not to find someone fast, but to find someone to last. I can’t recommend any dating site unless I’ve tried it. Believe me I had plenty of practice and although dating sites are one way to find love over fifty, there are many more.
There are plenty of fish in the sea. Realize you’re the one who’s the catch!